Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Cutting the cable: Intro

Ok, after some requests I have decided to start off with the subject of "cutting the cable". For those that are unfamiliar with this term it refers to cutting costs by cutting off any cable or satellite service you have. Now don't be scared off by this as it is totally doable for the novice and geek alike.

We will start with the basics. Out of all the channels you have available to you on cable or satellite how many do you actually watch? Think about it really hard now. How many of those shows you watch are not on local TV? How many of them do you really need to be watching with your kids around? For me and my wife we narrowed it down to maybe 5 or 6 not including the local channels. Of those 5 or 6 there were not any we could not live without but was nice to have. For example on my list of "like to have" was Food Network, Discovery, and TLC. On my wife's list was Wifetime... err Lifetime, Disney and/or Nickelodeon (for the kids), and possibly WGN or similar as she is an avid Braves baseball fan. Of these none we "had" to have but would be bonus points if we did. When you look at the average cable or satellite bill is easily in the $100+ range you realize there is probably a LOT you can happily do without!

Our journey to "cutting the cable" started about 9 months ago. At the time we had Dish Networks and was paying around $120/month. OUCH I know. But we had the HD channels, nice DVR, second room receiver, etc. It was nearing time for our 2 year contract to be up. So I started looking at ways to save money on the bill. I finally came to the following realizations:

  1. We hardly EVER watched TV in the bedroom (where the second receiver was)
  2. While the HD channels were nice, I did not HAVE to have them.
  3. I was paying for the Dish repair service (forgot the name) to the tune of nearly $10/month
  4. We were on a plan that had way more channels than we ever watched.

While Dish was cheaper than comparable service through our local cable provider comcast, it was obviously more than we wanted to pay. So We canceled the second receiver, HD channels, repair service, and dropped to a lesser package that still had our channels we liked to watch. Just doing that cut our bill nearly in half!

So a month or two go by and I am still tired of paying Dish the roughly $65/month. So after I did a good bit of research I sat down with my wife and we discussed totally pulling the plug on Dish. After finding a few sources of replacement entertainment that was acceptable to us both we pulled the plug. No more Dish. No more "cable TV"! OH NO... What will we do now!!!!!

I am sure you see the "sources of replacement entertainment" in the above section. I will expound on those in the next entry as to do them justice they really do need their own entries. For now I will leave you with this, what can you absolutely not do without on your TV?


The Frugal Geek

No comments:

Post a Comment